4.21.2008

johnny cash

What have I become?
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know,
Goes away in the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt
If I could start again
A million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way

~ Johnny Cash ~

It’s amazing how a song can take you on a different journey with every breath. Some lines I resonate with in my relationship with God (My sweetest friend, You could have it all, my empire of dirt, I will let you down”); some resonate with my relationships with others (“everyone I know, goes away in the end”); some resonate in general (“What have I become?...If I could start again”); and some I simply disagree with (“I would keep myself”).

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Interestingly, this is a song covered by Johnny Cash originally written by Nine Inch Nails. Part of the reason it kinda fits but kinda doesn't. I love the music video, which I'm currently getting ready to post on my blog. :)

Anonymous said...

I was going to say, you should check out the music video. It's quite haunting. His wife died shortly after he filmed it, and he followed not much later.