Katie wrote a fun/inspiring post about fall and I realized I miss it. That sounds funny to say because, it's right outside. Somehow though, I still feel I'm missing it. Maybe it's because I live in the city (and face endless streets instead of endless grass), maybe it's because I don't have a car or I work in a concrete box. Maybe it's because my desk no longer looks out a window toward big birch trees and endless streams of filtered light (I find myself writing less letters when, looking up to ponder I see only a wall - not very inspiring). Maybe it's because I haven't made chili or listened to enough sufjan or lit enough cinamom candles or watched a good independent film recently or don't have a yard to rake anymore or a pile of leaves to jump into or a hammock to gaze up into the trees from. I think my artsy side is a little starved and fall, in all its wonderfulness, is beautiful and enchanting and artistic. I need this season to store up for dreary winter. Maybe it's the heavy academics of graduate school. Maybe it's the lack of sunlight into my new home. Maybe it's because I haven't gone on enough long walks yet. Maybe it's none of that: maybe, like so many other things in life, I simply need to look up and really see what's already all around me.
6 comments:
Do you want to come visit? We can light a fire and watch old movies while drinking hot tea. I hope you know you're always welcome. If you can get up here, that is. Maybe I'll just come down and pick you up. :) Oooo, do you want to come up here for Thanksgiving?
wait, wait, wait, I have dibs on Sarah Jo for Tgiving if she's not going to go N to some "W" state or something. ;-)
Are you camping this weekend? We can't stay the whole time but we're dropping by for visits! Hopefully on Friday and Saturday night.
oh no!! i'm so sorry. sorry that you have to have your wisdom teeth removed (i had it done about 10 years ago) and super sorry you can't go camping!! so now that your friends are arguing over who gets to see you first do you feel like a million bucks? =0)
Now I really feel priviliged I get to see you and take care of you this weekend... Your man,
/\/\att
The crape myrtle outside my kitchen window had beautiful red leaves all lit up with morning light two Sundays ago, and this Sunday the leaves are all but gone. Fall goes by too fast.
You were right, To End All Wars was excellent!
Post a Comment