12.04.2008

file folders are not beautiful

I wish I was walking through a misty field right now. I miss beauty at the moment; I think there's a part of me that needs it as an expression of something beyond tiredness or pain or file folders, something resembling hope. Beauty inspires and motivates me: beautiful pictures, beautiful rooms, beautiful fields, beautiful smiles, beautiful words, beautiful cards, beautiful presents wrapped with ribbons and bows, beautiful flowers (which I have at home from a wonderful man), beautiful music, a beautiful heart. You can't get caught up in gazing at beauty, by itself it is vain and misleading, but you can follow it's gaze and find behind it God's grace to you through out this life.
"You will also be a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of your God. It will no longer be said to you, "Forsaken," Nor to your land will it any longer be said, "Desolate"; But you will be called, "My delight is in her." Isaiah 62:3-4.

2 comments:

David and Becca W said...

u always write nice posts. is that you in the pic? it's close enough to make me think it may be you.

anyway about Christmas cards, I wouldn't be doing them this year either but that I purchased them last year on the day AFTER Christmas. =-) Target had them for 80% or more off. I'm SO glad I picked them up! I also bought a large roll of wrapping paper and plan to do the same this year. the day after Christmas is the perfect time to pick up lights, the above mentioned, ornaments.... anyway, I'm sorry you can't do cards, I know how much I enjoy them.

Bethany Bassett said...

A chapter from John & Stasi Eldredge's Captivating once got the phrase "a daily dose of beauty" stuck in my head, and it hasn't left since. A few years ago, when I was working as a church janitor with a newborn and wondering if life could get any lower than scrubbing toilets for a living, I started to crave the beautiful drive to work. I do understand you; life is so much more bearable with a dose of beauty here and there.