I might as well come clean: I have a sewing complex.
I troll the sewing blogs and internet stores for fabric and patterns. A pile slowly grows next to my desk with each new little purchase. I read tips about making a muslin and sewing an invisible zipper. I wonder if I should purchase a serger; I eye my scissors knowing they need sharpening and my machine knowing it needs cleaning. I hand-stitch a stray button here and a ripped hem there. For a Christmas present, I sewed my a table runner that required, oh, four seams.But I rarely actually sew.
I could argue that my kitchen table is too small and my coffee table too low. But the truth is that I’m paralyzed by the thought of all that effort resulting in a crappy product. Right now, there’s unrealized potential instead of disappointing failure. And it’s so tempting to reside in the potential zone rather than the failure zone.
Yet, when I gaze at a beautiful $78.00 dress online, I know that I could probably attempt at least 12 dresses for that same price and certainly, the twelfth time is bound to be good right?
Oh! fear of failure, will you never leave me?
4 comments:
I'm with you at least a lil bit, Jo. I stick to simple, straight-line projects myself, and even those sit around for months between start and finish.
Sewing for a little person gives you great practice and courage to try a bigger project for yourself - Don't you have a cute little niece?
Jump on in! =) You can call me with issues if you want. =) I have taught sewing lessons before and if you want some ideas to start, I could help you there too. =)
My first project was a very complex vest. It had a button, a zipper, lining on the inside...and really the only thing that turned out pretty bad was that the two V's on the bottom are different lengths. If I would have just taken my time, I think that would have been avoided. But sewing shorts was much easier.
Post a Comment