I've encountered many people and companies who do not follow Christ and yet pursue social responsibility. It's easy sometimes to write them off because of some of the kooky ideas thrown in there - but such a response serves mostly to keep us comfortable without guilt.
Of all the people who should be socially responsible it is us: followers of Jesus...and we are being put to shame.
I can no longer deny that much of the comfortableness I surround myself with is at the expense of the poor. It is true that this happens very indirectly, and it would take great effort to find and purchase products more expensive and less accessible that were not manufactured by exploiting the poor - but if I were to be assuaged by the intentional effort it would take - I would be embracing comfort over the poor. I can't do that any longer, my Christ is asking for more of me and I will not say no.
-never settle-
No comments:
Post a Comment