1.11.2007

stewardship continued

I'm pretty sure almost everything made at Wal-mart that doesn't say "made in the USA" on the label was made in a sweat shop. Interestingly, the research on this isn't from christians or left-liberal environmentalists, but from business poeple. [I'll bring some of that information with me the next time I'm in front of a computer so you can know] The unfortunate truth is that there are not many alternatives - I could shop at kroger but be buying the same product made by the same company - so it wouldn't really matter.

I think my point more was that, we should at least ask and take some effort to see whether we should spend $2 extra dollars on a frappachino at starbucks knowing that a laborer somewhere will get a fair wage because of our rightly spent abundance, or whether we should buy folgers or walmart brand coffee for $2 cheaper, causing laborer's somewhere not to be paid a fair wage and depositing into our pockets the $2 we saved so that we can spend it on ourselves elsewhere at our leisure. Our larger expendible income often comes at the price of someone else's complete lack of income.

No comments: