11.16.2007

Bella


I went to see this movie with Christine Bassett last night and it was good! I had to bring some kleenex (though its not necessarily a tear-jerker) Be careful the reviews you read, though, some of them spoiled the plot. We felt like it would've been alot more powerful if we hadn't read the review in World Magazine which gave away a particularly moving development. The basic premise is that a once world famous soccer player, now haunted by his past, befriends a pregnant girl named Nina and the resulting journey they go on, both internally and externally (though more internally) traveling independently and yet together. The music is beautiful, the screen shots and cinematography is interesting, not necessarily my favorite, but how they did the timeline of the plot and how they focused on character development heavily instead of plot development was nicely done. It has some non-cheesy true and profound points about family. I also felt like it did a good job of capturing the mexican-american culture [not that I would be an expert on that] It did so almost accidently as if it was unintentional but a natural outflow of how well the film was done.


You should see it. :-) I give it two thumbs up!

1 comment:

Darius said...

Thanks for the comment, Sarah Jo.

I have been wanting to see Bella for a couple weeks now, just haven't found the time (nor the theatre, it's pretty limited in its release right now).

We are doing well, and expecting a baby boy in May! Have a great Thanksgiving!