5.12.2008

past all measure

http://www.8notes.com/mp3/9765.asp
It haunts me everytime. I hope I can do it justice.


I'm in the midst of reading A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken. Since I was ill most of the weekend, between sleeping, I did alot of reading. This book is also haunting...and delightful.


"This idea of the burden of possessions we held to - and years later when we got our first glossy new car, we hit it severly with a hammar to make it comfortably dented."


"'How could an idiotic universe have produced creatures whose mere dreams are so much stronger, better, subtler than itself?'"


"The position was not, as I had been comfortably thinking all these months, merely a question of whether I was to accept the Messiah or not. It was a question of whether I was to accept Him - or reject."


"If it isn't just a meaningless form of words, I suppose my heart broke that night. It really means, though, loving past all measure."


~never settle~

4 comments:

didlake said...

Those bring me joy

Caroline said...

A Severe Mercy is one of my favorite books. A movie is in the works, but I'm not sure I could handle seeing it.

Hilary said...

I don't know about that book, but Trey and I had Pad Thai again tonight. It is one of our favorite meals, thanks to SJ.

You're the best! Come see us soon.

Randy E. said...

Wow. You somehow keep managing to find all these neat quotes, which makes me feel a little guilty for not having that level of... uniqueness? (I suppose that's a good word for it.)