9.22.2008

Monday Musings

Writing often feels like walking through a dark narrow alleyway. I'm not sure where I'm going but am compelled to keep moving, compelled by adventure and fear. The second paper is due for my spiritual life class and the topic is breaking free from a habitual sin based on Paul's argument in Romans 6. As I sit down to write, I recognize that a good paper will only come if I put myself into it and I don't like that. Like my music or my painting or even relationships, I instinctively want to self-preserve, but I can't do that and still have meaning in my efforts. Risk is necessary. Will I be misunderstood? Will I fail? Will my thoughts be under appreciated or, worse, shown to be different than I thought they were? Possibly. But things worth doing are often difficult to do. So it is that I approach writing simultaneously propelled and hesitant, hoping to find at the end of the alleyway something extraordinary.

No comments: