I want to write about sweet whimsical things like the sun shinning and friday’s promise of a nearing weekend but all I can think about is the picture of my conductor standing on the platform with blood gushing from her hand as the train pulled away. Arguably, the train should have had a first-aid kit. But she was standing there alone while a train load of people peered out the window at her and that doesn’t seem right. Why didn’t I step from the crowd and the train to do something? I could’ve grabbed the blouse from my bag to press on the wound; I could’ve thought to carry a first-aid kit (I probably will from now on), I could have stayed with her until help came.
I’m sure Cheryl will be fine, some stitches, maybe surgery, maybe an IV to combat the blood loss. But I can’t help asking myself: why didn’t I act? Moments like these come and go so quickly, I want to be ready. I don’t want to be left behind holding only my regret. I’d rather be holding a bloody blouse.
I’ve lived long enough to know that everyone will find themselves in an extraordinary moment. I’ve had a space shuttle explosion wake me up, a hurricane destroy my neighborhood, a twister take off my roof, and an elderly lady falter on the steps in front of me. Today reminded me to be vigilant for those moments and to have a spirit of willingness so that in whatever comes next I will not hesitate nor be afraid.
~never settle~
2 comments:
snaps, Jo. I'll be storing that one close to my heart.
I, too, have lived long enough. I mean...yup, I hear ya.
Post a Comment