When I walked into work in my new dress, my coworker asked “Did you make it?” She has every right to inquire since I talk about sewing often. The problem is, I’ve not sewn anything close to wearable. Angst.
I have some lovely vintage patterns and equally lovely fabric. I also have curves. Lots of them, in complete different proportions than these patterns allow for. So while it seems like I have all the tools I need to make pretty clothes, I don’t have the tools in my head (how exactly do you grade a pattern for an extra 5 inch difference between waist and hip?!!). I’ve tried desperately to find some intermediate apparel sewing classes but, though I live in a very large metroplex, all I can find are people teaching 1) quilting, 2) apron making, 3) super basic stuff I already know or 4) pillow or bag sewing using Amy Butler material (gag me! that stuff looks like a kaleidoscope puked on it!). And the week-long intensive sewing course I found cost more than my last car. Sigh. Oh the poor unrealized potential…

I have some lovely vintage patterns and equally lovely fabric. I also have curves. Lots of them, in complete different proportions than these patterns allow for. So while it seems like I have all the tools I need to make pretty clothes, I don’t have the tools in my head (how exactly do you grade a pattern for an extra 5 inch difference between waist and hip?!!). I’ve tried desperately to find some intermediate apparel sewing classes but, though I live in a very large metroplex, all I can find are people teaching 1) quilting, 2) apron making, 3) super basic stuff I already know or 4) pillow or bag sewing using Amy Butler material (gag me! that stuff looks like a kaleidoscope puked on it!). And the week-long intensive sewing course I found cost more than my last car. Sigh. Oh the poor unrealized potential…

No comments:
Post a Comment