6.01.2011

squash

Squash is one of my favorite plants. Taking just 8 weeks to harvest, it satisfies my impatient, instant-gratification tendencies :D. Since the laptop I've been using doesn't have linux (sob), pictures will not be forthcoming. This picture and recipe I found online and made yesterday with my newly picked squash. It was delicious!
Well, okay, I didn't really use the recipe, I more or less used the concept. I chopped up onion and bell pepper and sauted them. Then I added my grass-fed beef from Shady Grove Ranch (friends and neighbor-ish people of mine). Topped with some raw-milk cheese and whole wheat bread crumbs (home made bread is the bomb!), baked for 40 minutes on 350 and voila!

Squash is really easy to grow (and fast in a really sunny spot), but if you don't have marigold, basil, or other bee attracting plants, you can end up with unpollinated flowers and no squash. Squash bushes have male and female flowers. You can tell by looking closely which flowers are female, they have tiny little squashes underneath just waiting to grow. In the morning, when the flowers open, sometimes I'll take a q-tip, dab it in the pollen of an open male flower and then spread it around inside the open female flower. Voila number two! Pollinated squash (cue inappropriate jokes :D). It may be a crude method, but it works.

No comments: