In the Old Testament, Israel lives
surrounded by symbolism: a way for the material world to reflect a
spiritual or emotional reality. Where I live today trends away from
symbolism with an easy forgetfulness of unseen truths. Sometimes the
church is infused with symbolism in a reactionary response to the world,
inventing realities by imposing spiritual meaning everywhere. I fall in
the middle. I gravitate toward symbolism and feel half foolish for it.
Today, I’m taking a meal to a new mother.
I do this often, partly because our church has a rich history of
procreation :) and partly because I like to cook. Yesterday, a new
mother returned my casserole dish, empty from the meal I took her last
week. It came back just in the nick-of-time for me to fill it with a new
meal for another new mom.
The dish is my symbol. It represents
giving and supporting and being thankful for mothers. One semester in
college, a dear friend left for break and came back with a wife. We were
estactic for him. She hosted hours of college parties in their little
apartment, feeding us food while we played games. I used to think she
was quiet and reserved but later discovered it was only because she
didn’t know any of us. She taught me cooking skills (that I still
utilize) and spontaneously gave me her casserole dish one day.
She had their first child shortly before
graduation. We kept up through letters and then facebook. Mothering was
her favorite thing and she reached out to mothers everywhere. When I
finally saw her again six years later, she was pregnant with their
fourth child and laying in a hospital bed. A shocking diagnosis of lung cancer was just given and they were about to do surgery. Two days later, her baby
girl was delivered prematurely by emergency c-section. I begged God on
behalf of her children that He would not leave them motherless, but my
friend died just four days after I saw her. For the next several months,
I held Megan in the NICU almost every day and cried that she didn’t
have a mother.
Eventually, God did answered my prayer
and gave those four children a new mother. One who is so utterly perfect
for them; one who my friend in heaven would’ve shouted joy over. And
while they are left with a mother, I am left with memories and letters
and a casserole dish.
So I fill it now, with food for mothers.
And while they may have no idea the dish has just as much thought behind
it as the meal, I am reminded of and acknowledge an emotional and
spiritual reality: that all life, young or old, is a precious,
precious gift.
No comments:
Post a Comment