8.01.2012

bearings

Back in January I posted a set of New Years resolutions. I was especially committed to having a lot of fun this year. I’m now focused simply on surviving. Two mouth surgeries, a huge job shift, and the implosion of family leaves me so far from fun that I cringe in shame at the shallowness of that resolution.

A book title I ran across several years ago, frames my view of trials. “A Severe Mercy” is the most accurate phrase I’ve heard describing what God often does through hardship. He grants mercy. Mercy isn’t just the journey, it is the end goal. With a storm, he blows us from the shallow end, where we drown, into the deep end where we live. It is a severe act.

Why didn’t I resolve this year to receive and give more love? Why didn’t I ask for a year full of grace and forgiveness? Why wasn’t seaking peace at the top of my list?

My mouth is healing but my soul is longing for rest. My house is a mess, my thoughts equally scattered and my compass is twisted from the storm. But a compass without a true bearing will lead you in the wrong direction. So I guess my bearing is being reset. And I’m ultimately thankful.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I'm great at cleaning houses - and I'm available this Saturday morning...and I'm free, as in, no dinero.

sarah said...

If only I was available this saturday morning :)

Leslie said...

The deep end is a good place to live. Especially when the wind blows us there. I like that analogy. May you find peace and joy in your journey.

Somehow, I have trouble believing that your house is a mess though. :)