4.29.2014

Book Review

I love history but my attention span is short. I like the particulars of historical fact; I simply can't digest them all at once. And I don't like pure story telling because I can never trust a story devoid of facts.  I need that rare history book where the dates and places are masterfully woven into a strong human interest story. These two books are just such a masterpiece: easy and intelligent reading.



Mr. Adams's Last Crusade explores the incredible post-presidential career of John Quincy Adams. He accomplished far more as part of the congress than he ever did in the presidency. The groundwork he laid for Lincoln in ending slavery is downright inspiring and makes me wonder why Lincoln gets all the credit. The environment in which Lincoln succeeded was created, hewed by the sweat of John Quincy. His untiring, emotional yet knowledgeable, approach to the issue will make you feel like a basic underachiever in life. Which might be what we all need to motivate us to make a difference.


Mayflower is the story we all think we know but don't. I like this book because it approaches the story without the imperialistic assumptions that the pilgrims had a right to this land nor the over-simplistic sentiment that the pilgrims were a humble form of conquistadors. Both the Indians and the Puritans were fighting to preserve a way of life. Both were kind and moral, both were savage and selfish, both took advantage of each other and their own brethren, both were blinded to all but their own aspirations and both were noble and visionary with regard to this brave new world being born. Villains and heros abound and often within the same breast. In short, this is a story about humans. As such, I found it a refreshing read about a topic much mauled.

As mid-summers eve approaches, if you find yourself lucky enough to have a hammock (we recommend Eno's DoubleNest) and two appropriately spaced trees, indulge in reading one or both of these books while gently swaying in the breeze.

1 comment:

Abigail T said...

You might like the book "Founding Brothers" by Joseph Ellis. I quite enjoyed it.