I don't believe random Bible opening is an appropriate method of studying God's Word. However, last night I was very tired from working on a paper (for a class that hasn't even started!) so I plopped it open for a couple minutes to read with tea before bed.
I have been struggling to have a good attitude in work and school towards those around me. I despise bullies and refuse to be intimidated by those who try to lord their knowledge or power over others. Maybe it's because I have two older brothers, maybe it's because I went to legalistic churches as a child or grew up in the ghetto, but I'm feisty and I cannot stand people who intimidate others purposefully. Sometimes, though, I am needlessly feisty, I often respond to those in authority as if they were lording over me when they are not. I struggle to allow myself to be humbled, to respect, and to serve, especially when those I'm serving are prideful or rude (human! just like me! :).
Particularly because today is my first full-on class and because of a recent work situation, it was meaningful that God led me to I Thessalonians 5:12-14:"But we request of you, brethren, that you appreciate those who diligently labor among you and have charge over you in the Lord and give you instruction, and that you esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Live in peace with one another." I needed to be set straight in how I view and treat those I work with and for and learn from. I need to strive for peace.
Soon, I will be meeting other students and interacting with the body of Christ, an organism of faulty and weak people, and just like my family, I can't walk away from the Body simply because its not perfect. Thessalonians continues to give guidance: "We urge you brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone."
2 comments:
How I do understand your struggle with the types who lift their knowledge and mediocre power to its highest point. Gosh - it's upsetting.
But I'm glad you found solace in the word today. Be encouraged - and be glad that the Lord has allowed you to be tested by these others (who he also loves).
Very good point.
Grl4God
Post a Comment