I'm glad its gray outside because it makes sitting inside with piles of reading all the more cozy and beckoning. Yesterday, I ran in light rain down a historical street lined with huge oaks and bright grass and Tudor mansions. I could almost believe I was back in England.
I don't fit in here. It's apparent on several levels. Strangely, my love of learning is one of them. Everyone bemoans the difficulty I have yet to discover. Reading interesting books on interesting topics is difficult? I never knew! ;-] Second, the absence of dallasite materialistic tendencies but literary, poetic, organic tea drinking habits put me distinctly on my own. Which I'm finding hard to cope with. A 27 year-old still haunted by not fitting in? I annoy myself. Third, I'm full-time staff taking classes on my lunch breaks and in the evenings. That's just weird ;-]. Lastly, I can't seem to consume information about God without being emotionally affected. While the class moves onto the depths of our depravity, I'm still plunging into the depths and wonderousness of His holiness. Yes, I know we've moved on in class, but I haven't! My mind may have wrapped itself (mostly) around a concept but my heart is still wrapping around its implications. My friend aptly described taking many seminary classes at once as a sort of gluttony. I only have two and I already feel gluttonous.
3 comments:
Have you read "The Discipline of Grace" or "The Pursuit of Holiness" by Jerry Bridges? I'm in the process of reading them right now... they are fantastic!
I understand completely. Yesterday, I had the best of times on an assignment in class where we had to create 75 observations on Acts 1:8. It was amazing! But as we were leaving, people were heaving and hoeing over the fact that they had to do "oh, so much work!" As I was leaving, I thought, "Are you serious? Are we here to get a Masters degree and to study the word - or to have our opinions gratified by our professors?" --And what really got me frustrated was the fact that the fellow students didn't seem to enjoy the passage. I mean: it's the word of God we're dealing with, not just someone's opinion or flitty thought process. How cool that we're being asked to stare into that word which will sanctify our souls?
Way to be an outsider. It's always more fun.
You're not the weird one. =)
Post a Comment