11.24.2010

sewing

I’ve managed curtains, table runners, buttons, hems, and the occasional skirt. But bodices have eluded my sewing ability. Recently, I read in a book that Asians are better at math than Americans because they stick with a problem longer. They spend an average of 20 minutes more solving a mathematical problem than their US counterparts. In other words, they don’t give up easily and eventually get it. So I’ve determined to be more determined :}. I spent six hours working on a bodice this weekend and it still didn’t fit. Finally, I asked for help. An extra set of hands to pull extra fabric into the right place was telling – the pattern was simply too big. This whole time, the fit was poor because of a simple error. Distressingly, I looked at my stash of pretty patterns and discovered that they are ALL too big. So I’ve started from scratch. I took a ruler and drew new pattern lines an inch in from the original pattern lines (since I don’t want to throw out all my patterns). I believe I can get it – I can unlock the secret to getting a pattern to fit if I just stick with it. I hope I’m right because I’m sure spending a lot of time!

No comments: