6.12.2008

Sometimes life is simply ordinary and you encounter the Word like an old comfortable friend. You don't have ah-ha moments about your life or deep revelations about the meaning of everything and yet, if you stay still and let it settle down deep, you still find that it blows you away. I read Genesis 6 last night, the flood account, and contemplated the fact that God regretted making man. The following verses are astounding:

"Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart."

Then the Lord tells Noah: "Behold, I, even I am bringing the flood of water upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life, from under heaven; everything that is on the earth shall perish. But I will establish My covenant with you."

It's intense/sad to realize that God regretted making us because every intent of our thoughts were only evil continually. Sometimes I wonder how much He feels like that now, especially when the statement seems just as true of current mankind. It's also incredible that in the same breath God speaks justice and hope: the destruction of all flesh on earth and a covenant (promise) to the small remnant.

Sometimes I view God's personality/character as a little flat or one dimensional, but He is incredibly intriguing. His heart grieves, He has the difficult task of loving what He's created but seeing that creation be continually evil. [I can't imagine creating something only to watch it be continually evil, I think I'd probably feel like destroying it also] Yet, He works so hard to redeem that creation, to bring mankind back to what they were intended to be.

My God, what is a heart
That thou shouldst it so eye and woo
Powering upon it with all thy art
As if thou hadst nothing else to do?"
~Matthaeus

No comments: